Special thanks from Edith D an amazing family friend who took the time to send us these postcards from Wilmington, Delaware. Here are some of the facts we learned:
- Delaware was the first state to ratify the United States constitution. It did so on December 7, 1787.
- Delaware is the only state without any National Park System units such as national parks, seashores, historic sites, battlefields, memorials, and monuments.
- Today about 500 descendants of the original Nanticoke Indians reside in Delaware. They celebrate their heritage each September with the Nanticoke Indian Pow Wow.
- The log cabin originated in Finland. Finnish settlers arrived in Delaware in the mid-1600s and brought with them plans for the log cabin, one of the enduring symbols of the American pioneer. One of the cabins has been preserved and is on display at the Delaware Agricultural Museum in Dover.
- The Lady Bug is Delaware's Official State Bug.